Play the Pie Hole game at the HomeGrown Festival!
- Red wine and veal stock braised beef pasties, a northern Michigan favorite.
- Pulled Berkshire pork 'sliders', braised in an 'al pastor' style, with a cilantro cabbage slaw on Mill Pond's ciabatta bread.
- Festival blueberry pizza, with feta, local blueberries, and fontina (people are crazy for this)
- Whole wheat ravioli with king trumpet mushrooms from Michigan Mushrooms, spinach, Zingerman's goat cheese, black walnuts or cashews
- Ricotta cake with Zingermans farmer cheese and chocolate chips
- Caramelized onion and goat cheese tart
- Corn chowder
-Blueberry-Lemon and Apple Cinnamon Fried Pies
Local Food Month
WHEREAS, local food systems comprise our local community-based farmers, gardeners, restaurants, chefs, farmers markets, grocers, consumers; and
WHEREAS, local food systems promote healthy food for all, which is especially important for those who are food insecure including low-income and minority populations; and
WHEREAS, local food systems promote energy efficiency, land preservation, decreased transportation costs; and
WHEREAS, local food systems improve food supply which is essential to local emergency preparedness and local self-reliance; and
WHEREAS, improving our local, regional, and statewide food systems advances the local economic opportunity, environmental stewardship, community, and social justice; and
WHEREAS, our local food system represents an important part of
WHEREAS, promoting our local food system is essential to the City of
WHEREAS, celebrating our local food system through Local Food Month promotes all of these goals.
NOW THEREFORE, I, John Hieftje, Mayor of Ann Arbor, Michigan, do hereby proclaim September, 2009, as: Local Food Month, and encourage citizens of Ann Arbor to engage in our local foodshed.
I hereby set my hand and seal
This day, 2009